Joyous Mary, Shrewd and Strong

The angel said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you…” (Luke 1:35) Does anyone else find this troubling? The most recognizable story of 2017 features men with power abusing women, while a lynchpin of the annual...

read more

El Divino Redentor of Bucaramanga, Colombia

Since 2003, First Mennonite Church has enjoyed a sister church relationship with El Divino Redentor (EDR), a Lutheran congregation in Bucaramanga, Colombia. This friendship has included delegations traveling back and forth, sharing prayers and photos, and learning...

read more

Lament and Trust: A Prayer for Salvation

A prayerful meditation for when guns are used to end human life… As the U.S. processes another mass shooting, with reactions ranging from rage to grief to fear to incredulity, we might find companion voices among the Bible’s prophets and psalms. They evoke the full...

read more

Entwining Rivers

DID YOU KNOW? Rivers and fresh water lakes comprise less than 1% of the water of our earth. Approximately 97% of the earth’s water is salt water; and of the remaining 3%, most is either frozen in icebergs and polar areas or buried underground. Only about .3% of the...

read more

Eternal Re-Membering

The congregation recently gathered to honor the life of a dear friend who was witty and kind and deeply spiritual and a brilliant amateur philosopher. These are some excerpts from what I shared at the memorial service: At that last breath, who knows what latent...

read more

Season of Creation

It's the most wonderful time of the year! Some years ago, groups of clergy, scholars, and worship artists from Australia and the United States and probably lots of other places began concurrent projects to focus a season of the church year on the celebration of...

read more

Recent Posts